How to make a stir fry that’s delicious and nutritious in 15 minutes or less.
Can we make it in time?
Why it works
As promised, here are the details of the MSG beans. They are fermented soybeans, preserved with a lot of salt and flavored with ginger. I like the beans because they add an umami flavor (no doubt the glutamates are thanks to the MSG 🙂 ).
This fermented soybean is not the same as the Mexican-style black beans you enjoy from the hole-in-the-wall burrito joint.
There are many brands you can buy at your local Asian grocery store. I picked this brand, Yang Jiang, because it’s the one I grew up with. Amazon sells these MSG beans too.
If you don’t have access to these beans, try substituting with oyster sauce if you want to boost the savory flavor of the stir fry.
How to Make the Tofu Stir Fry With Green Beans
Stir Fry Tofu and Broccoli with Hoisin Sauce
The hoisin sauce adds a sweet taste. Combined with the tapioca starch, the sauce makes a nice gravy to accompany the tofu and broccoli.
- 12 oz. Tofu Deep-fried tofu from your Asian grocery store.
Stir Fry Vegetables
- 8 oz. Broccoli Washed and trimmed
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2 slices Ginger
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tapioca Starch
- Chop the end off the ginger and cut 2 thick slices.
- Crush and roughly chop the garlic.
- Chop each triangle of fried tofu in half.
- Preheat the wok on the highest heat possible.
- Add the canola oil to the preheated wok.
- Add the aromatics to the hot wok (garlic and ginger). Wait to sizzle, about 1 minute.
- Add the tofu to the wok. Use a spatula to turn a few times. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't burn. Allow the tofu to heat up about 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli to the tofu in the wok. Stir to evenly cook the broccoli.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water. Cover immediately with a lid to allow the broccoli to steam 1 minute.
- While waiting for the broccoli to cook, add 1 tablespoon of water to the tapioca starch. Stir to mix.
- Periodically turn the stir fry to prevent the broccoli from burning. Give the broccoli about 30 seconds more of heat.
- Swirl in the hoisin sauce. Stir to mix evenly.
- Stir the tapioca starch if it has hardened in the water. Make sure the mixture is liquidy. Pour the tapioca starch into the wok.
- Turn off the heat, and stir quickly until the tapioca starch creates a gravy. Plate the stir fry. Add additional soy sauce if you find the stir fry needs extra salt.
- Enjoy your tofu stir fry!