Imagine strolling through the Christmas markets in Germany while the bitterly cold weather pummels your body. Then the fragrant smell of spiced mulled wine wafts over.
You see people warming up their cold hands by gently holding this precious hot drink.
These memories from my 2010 winter in Germany keep me making mulled wine every year.
And why not? When it’s so easy to make it.
Perhaps folks experiencing the particularly harsh winter weather on the East Coast can comfort themselves with this quick & dirty recipe for mulled wine.
Quick & Dirty Recipe
- 2 bottles of red wine. 2 buck chuck works excellently for this purpose. I can’t tell the difference when I use more expensive wine. So something cost-effective (i.e. cheap) like 2 buck chuck is great!
- 2 oranges
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- honey (optional)
- Squeeze the juice out of the oranges.
- Mix the wine, orange juice and leftover orange (with peels and everything) together in a medium-sized soup pot.
- Add the cinnamon stick.
- Turn the heat up to high. Allow to boil, then turn it down low to simmer. Allow the mulled wine to simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Sweeten with honey. You can drink it unsweetened but it’s a tad sour and I don’t’ think it tastes great.
Some people add cloves but I like to keep this recipe quick & dirty. And most importantly, simple!